As an affiliated society of the American Historical Association (AHA), the SIHS holds an annual meeting in conjunction with that of the AHA, marked by at least one academic session, a business meeting, and a social hour. The next annual meeting is planned for New York, NY in January 2015. For general information on the AHA annual meeting, please consult the AHA website.
Friday, Jan. 2nd, 2015
"Italy at the Start of the First World War", Green Room, Fourth Floor, New York Hilton, 3:30-5:30 PM
Chair and Comment: Mary Gibson (John Jay College)
- Steven Huges, Loyola University Maryland, "Honor and Crisis: The Chivalric Assumptions of Italian Intervention in 1915"
- Sultana Banulescu (CUNY Graduate Center), "'Invisible Wounds' and World War I Italy's New Medicine of the Mind"
Saturday, Jan. 3rd, 2015
"Intellectual Ex-Elites and the Struggle for Belonging in Post-World War II Europe", Hudson Suite, Fourth Floor, New York Hilton, 10:30 AM-12:00 PM
Chair: Michael R. Hayse, Richard Stockton College of New Jersey
Comment: Charles Killinger, University of Central Florida
- Rhiannon Evangelista, Kennesaw State University, "Fascists in a Post-Fascist World: Ex-elites Negotiate Belonging in Democratic Italy, 1945–60"
- Mark W. Clark, University of Virginia at Wise, "Anti-Fascist Intellectuals at the Nexus of Cultural Crisis and Regime Change"
- Jonathan Sherry, University of Pittsburgh, "The Cultural Cold War over Spain’s Lost Revolution: Exiled Spanish Intellectuals, the Politics of Transition, and the Intersection of History and Literature"
Sunday, Jan. 4th, 2015
"Multi/Interdisciplinary Investigations into Italy and World War I", Green Room, Fourth Floor, New York Hilton, 2:30 PM-4:30 PM
Chair and Comment: Adrian Lyttelton, Johns Hopkins University
- Ernest Ialongo, Hostos Community College, City University of New York, "Futurism from Foundation to World War: The Art and Politics of an Avant-Garde Movement"
- Jacqueline Reich, Fordham University, "Maciste Goes to War: Maciste Alpino, 1916"
- Alessia Palanti, Columbia University, "Cinema: Femminile, Plurale—Italian Women Filmmakers through the Great War"
Annual Business Meeting, Harlem Suite, Fourth Floor, New York Hilton, 5:30-6:00 PM
SIHS Social Hour, Midtown Suite, Fourth Floor, New York Hilton, 6:00-7:00 P